OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2011 09:06:57 -0500
Fellow counters,

      I did not get 100 birds this month.  I wasn't really trying.  However,
on a recent trip to Lancaster, I spotted a new cow species in a field near
Rush creek lake.  I thought I had seen every cow species there was to see in
Ohio, but a British White was a new one for me.  Google it. I had seen few
birds (64), so this really made my month.   For those of you out there
birding all the time, it makes sense to check out, *and check off*, the
cows.  I highly recommend *A Field Guide to Cows by John Pukite.  Amazon it.
*

**     Cows are a lot easier to find than birds.  Even the Juveniles can top
1200 pounds.  They are often found in the same areas as Cattle Egrets, and
always on the ground, never in trees.  They are also much easier to tell
apart, although the red ones can be confusing, kind of like sparrows, or
fall warblers.  However, one drawback is that they cannot be distinguished
by voice.., No "heard herds" so to speak.

   Since you probably already have guides for Butterflies, Trees,
Dragonflies, Wildflowers, etc., etc.... I could go on, but you need a field
guide for cows.   When traveling to places like Texas and Arizona, which you
do anyway,  you can identify the cows as well as the birds.  Don't leave
home without it. And, when things get slow around Ohio, just go cowing.  And
keep me posted on any rare species you might find.

joe in the woods
somerset, ohio
perry county (home to a rare herd of British Whites)