OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2011 22:51:41 +0000
Greetings all -
My father, Dave and I went down to look for the Knox county raven today (unsuccessful) and hit the Funk Bottoms and Killbuck region on the drive down. Highlight of a drive-through of Funk Bottoms included two ROSS'S GEESE (with 10 Canadas), originally spotted in flight over Route 3, and chased down Elyria Road, and subsequently Wilderness Road where the birds were lost in flight heading lightly southwest. The greater area is largely flooded, north to Route 95 between Funk and Blachleyville. Eight (8) Rough-legged Hawks (3 light, 5 dark morph) were seen between Wilderness Road and Route 95. Several Northern Harriers and a single Bald Eagle were seen from Route 95 looking south. Waterfowl included hundreds of Canada Geese, a handful of Ring-necked Ducks, Gadwall, Northern Pintail, American Wigeon, Green-winged Teal, American Black Ducks, and Mallards.
Killbuck was largely frozen over (the main marsh on Cemetery Road was a sheet of ice) but Wright Marsh was open, harboring a load of Canada Geese and more pintail, wigeon, and a few Green-winged Teal.
We came up empty on raven today, but Gabe Leidy had a brief sighting around 9 a.m. (I'm sure he'll report later).
Fantastic day in the field, even with a brisk wind and a temp drop of 40 degrees from yesterday's spring bliss.
best of birding -Jen

Jen Brumfield
Cleveland, Ohio
330-701-6452