OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:05:43 -0800
I went back to Sims Park in Euclid today around 11am.  Big difference from yesterday.  Yesterday with the strong NW winds there wasn't any ice except near the shore today with southeast winds there was more splotchy ice from the shore to much further out but calm and clear.  There were many Red-breasted Mergansers very far out so I couldn't ID anything else that might of been in with them.  Was able to see:

Common Goldeneye - at least 129
Red-breasted Merganser's ~ 2500
Bufflehead 1
Great Black-backed Gulls ~7
Ring-billed Gulls - many & few Herring Gulls

Stopped at Eastlake Fishier Pier at the power plant.  Not a lot of ducks but they were close and some I have not been seeing.  My counts are probably off a bit:

American Wigeon - 3
American Black Ducks 4
Canvasback 31
Redheads 16
Ring-necked Ducks 19
Scaup 28
Bufflehead 2
Hooded Mergansers 20
Mallards

I stopped at Villa Angela in Cleveland around 2pm as Jeanne Hrenko said it was birdy there in the morning and she saw Red-winged Blackbirds.  Also, she was able to hear the WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW that Mark Anderson and I reported yesterday.  It was singing in the bushy area north of the asphalt walkway across from where they feed the birds in the mobile home park where Mark had seen in on 2/13.  The WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW sounded like it was mixed in with many House Sparrows but it was alone in the tree continually singing when I located it.  It was overcast but my pictures show the face better.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/