OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2011 17:13:26 -0500
While watching a pair of Red-tailed Hawks out my office window a few
minutes ago, I saw a large V-shaped flock  (with a few individuals
inside the V) of around 50 or so large birds headed north over OSU's
campus.  At one point the light reflected off of their wings
confirming that these large birds were swans -- presumably Tundra
Swans given their numbers and apparent migratory behavior.

I guess I need to be more consistent in bringing binoculars to work!

Also -- I heard back from the USGS BBL on the two collared Trupeter
Swans seen with one imm. below the Griggs Dam a couple of weeks ago.
Presumably one of these birds was incorrectly sexed when it was
banded??

Collar #8A6:  Female, Banded 09/01/2006 near South Bass Island, OH
(Hatched in 2006)
Collar #0C2:  Female, Banded 10/10/2007 near Port Clinton, OH (Hatched in 2007)

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado