OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2011 02:55:46 GMT
After three attempts, we finally made it to Killdeer Plains WA on Thursday afternoon, 24 February 2011.  This is just a quick note in case some of your may try it next week.  We were only able to bird for four hours but found 26 species and missed a few more as the light was getting dim.  We had trouble getting to the Sportsmen's Center since the old CH-75 is closed and ended up taking all roads before finding a way.  That was fine since we saw a lot of birds.  Wish we'd had more time.  We would have gone back today, but the storm came in with a vengeance. So many people were helpful in getting me there and I'll be reporting back to them in more detail, but this is to inspire those of you who want to catch the nice weather next week.  Warning:  by now most roads will be impassable and parking lots unplowed- but they may catch up when the sun comes out late next week.  They have tried to keep up with the main roads and plow some of the lots, but it was still mushy (and icy in some spots) on Thursday- which was dry as a bone, though rain was predicted.  Then they really got dumped on Friday- as you can guess. We stopped at the cedar in front of the barn- no luck for long-ears.  We also hiked back to the owl pines and round about in there with no luck- but it was fun to see all the mammal tracks- food for our favorite birds. There is gas and food in Upper Sandusky.  We tried Woody's on 199 and it was VERY good, but not a quick stop- a treat for end of the day. HOWEVER, here is what we found- WELL worth the trip for us!!!1.   Trumpeter swan2.   Canada goose3.   Mallard4.   American black duck5.   Northern pintail6.   Lesser scaup7.   Northern harrier (several!)8.   Red-tailed hawk9.   Rough-legged hawk (a few)10.  Bald eagle (one flying on/off nest- maybe not brooding)- saw 311.  American kestral- lots12.  Killdeer!13.  Mourning dove14.  Short-eared owl- yes! Several!  Great views most of the afternoon- check out TH 108.15.  Northern flicker- several16.  Blue jay17.  American crow18.  Horned lark- many19.  Eastern bluebird20.  American robin21.  European starling22.  Northern cardinal23.  American tree sparrow24.  Song sparrow25.  White-crowned sparrow26.  Dark-eyed junco27.  House sparrow- including some nesting on the big truck at the headquarters- amusing And thanks, Rieks, where ever you are. Kathleen Bradley- Berea, Ohio