OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

From:
Duane Troyer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Troyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2011 15:22:29 -0500
Just observed an adult Northern Shrike on the dead end road I live on, which is Ladd Lane in extreme northeastern Highland Co. Watched him hunting and feeding on several rodents from the road. Location of the site is pg. 77 in the "old" Delorme. From St. Rt. 28 that runs from Leesburg to Greenfield, take W. Martinsburg Rd. north about a mile and turn left onto Ladd Lane (twp.rd. 440). You will see 2 fencerows on the left side of Ladd Lane soon after turning onto the dead end road, which is followed by a little wood/swamp lot. I first saw the shrike sitting on the electric lines along the road by the 2nd fencerow, and last observed it in the little woodlot.
good birding,
Duane Troyer