OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:38:37 -0800
I went to Sims Park in Euclid from 11:00am to 11:50am this morning and then shortly after 4pm this afternoon.  There were multiple hundreds of Red-breasted Mergansers far out mixed in with other things (Goldeneye) but I could not see it all that well.  Did see 20 Common Mergansers, many Ringed-billed Gulls, approx 19 Cedar Waxwings to the right of driveway in the trees, heard Killdeer, Winter Wren singing to left of pier and Carolina Wren east of road to pier in the woods.  Saw one White-throated Sparrow near bird feeder near turnaround parking lot at 4pm.  Jeanne Hrenko came in the morning.

Went to Villa Angela and Wildwood State Parks in Cleveland from 12:20 to 3:45pm.  Jeanne Hrenko was there for awhile and Mark Anderson came at 12:40 and left at 3:10pm.  Nothing too unusual.  Mark saw a Coyote pup seen from the marina parking lot on the west bank of Euclid Creek and then it climbed up the bank and left.  We saw the prints.  Only a few birds to mention:

White-crowned Sparrow 1 (1st winter)still singing by mobile home park with many House Sparrows near Villa Angela
Red-bellied Woodpeckers at least 4 or 5 very active
American Black Duck 1 in creek in Wildwood side of Euclid Creek
American Tree Sparrows 2 Villa Angela
Song Sparrow 1 (first we have seen since Dec) Villa Angela by pier
Hairy Woodpecker 1 m
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1 seen by Matt Valencic

After everyone left I got the scope out around 315pm.  There had been many Red-breasted Mergansers out far earlier and they were too far to see well without a scope.  Could see clearly from the Wildwood Yacht Club elevated area east of marina closer in:

Great Black-backed Gulls ~ 8
Common Goldeneye - 29
Common Mergansers ~ 17
Red-breasted Mergansers - hundreds