OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

From:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2011 21:39:39 -0500
Dear List,

I'm wondering if anyone out there can share pointers for locating the ESOs
at/near the Brecksville Reservation/ Station Rd. Bridge/ Chippewa Ford Field
area of CVNP.  I may head out there tomorrow and would love to find these
guys!  I'd be very grateful for your help.

Since I'm posting, I might as well report a few recent sightings.

A LOT of activity at the snowy snowy snowy feeder yesterday with all the
usual backyard birds but an unusual (in my experience) number of
Cardinals---at least 8 were in view at any given time.  The activity came to
a very sudden halt when one of the several Cooper's Hawks that seem to favor
my small yard and its immediate environs showed up and stayed perched in my
backyard tree (not 15 feet from my window) for about an hour. I managed to
sneak the window open and brave the cold for a few minutes in order to get
some unprecedentedly up-close-and-personal photographs (which I'm happy to
share off-list).  This bird was a juvenile and rather large for a Coop, so
I'm guessing a female.

As the Tower East building at the corner of Chagrin and Van Aken is along my
regular commute, I see one or both of the Peregrines there on an almost
daily basis---they seem to be thriving.  Unfortunately I've seen no activity
at the RTHA nest at the adjacent cemetery; the nest appears to be filled
with snow.

My parents out in Russell had *another* Barred Owl window-strike at their
home (---I say another because they had a fatal strike almost exactly one
year ago).  On their behalf I called upon the help of the miracle-workers at
Penitentiary Glen, who dispatched a rehabber very quickly.  Even though the
bird had barely moved on their porch for several hours in spite of barking
dogs (from inside the house) and various other things, no sooner did the
rehabber approach it than it flew off into the forest behind their house, so
it was apparently only stunned (thank goodness).  A much better outcome than
last year, but we really need to do something about those windows!

Best,
Noah
(Shaker Heights; Cuyahoga)