OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2011 17:58:22 -0500
I realize it's kind of early to start talking about nesting for birds other
than owls, but I just went into the horse barn for something and found 2
Junco's flying around the rafters in the hay loft.  Could they be looking to
start a nest so soon?

Junco's nest between the bales of hay every year in our hay loft with as
many as 3 broods being fledged in a season. The earliest they have fledged
their first brood is May something.  If they start now they will certainly
break that record.  I would think they would delay nesting were it not for
this artificial structure that provides so much protection.

They came in through the stall doors which are opened daily all year round,
no matter how cold or snowy, so they have had ample opportunity to come in
if they wanted to before today.  We also close these doors each evening
during the winter.  As a precaution I opened the two loft doors about 3
inches so they might come-and-go from above as they wish.

So the question is, should I encourage this early nesting behavior (if that
is what it is) or discourage it by closing them out?  I regret not opening
those loft doors 4 years ago when a pair of Eastern Phoebe's were showing
interest in our barn rafters.  It was around Easter that year and we got 12
inches of wet snow that stayed around for 10 days.  The birds were not seen
again after the snow.

Matt Valencic

Chagrin Falls, OH