OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2011 23:51:41 +0000
Did some driving around the state on Sat & Sun, and saw quite a few hawks.  On Sat, from about 6pm, I was driving east on I-70 from Columbus to I-77S.  I saw two different pairs of Red-tailed Hawks, each pair perching together (in 2 different trees) along the highway, plus one single guy (or gal.)  After the last Red-tailed, it grew too dark to bird from the car.

On Sun, I drove from Marietta to my home in SW Clermont County, mostly westbound on SR 32.  I saw 1 Cooper's Hawk, 1 Red-shouldered Hawk, 3 American Kestrels, 10 Red-tailed Hawks, and 3 unknown soaring Buteos (prob. also Red-tailed.)  One pair was circling/soaring together, and one was a singleton.  I looked closely for the Athens County Bald Eagle, without success.

In the "other birds" division: On Sunday, I saw a Pine Warbler amongst the usual suspects at some friends' feeders, and a Pileated Woodpecker crossing a gravel road in Washington County. Best bird of the weekend was probably the American Woodcock I heard "peenting" at 12:30am Sat night/Sun morning in a scrubby wedge of land between a hotel parking lot and the on-ramp to I-77S into West Virginia.  An odd time and place, I thought.

Finally, I heard a flock of "Rain Crows" Saturday night, kicking out some awesome sounds.  They stimulated many of the surrounding birds to perform wild rituals of gyrations, waves, wiggles, and shakes.  Margaret Mead could have written an entire thesis on the subject.  The migration pattern of the "Rain Crows" is not yet established, but if you have a chance to chase them, I highly recommend it.

~Kathi Hutton
Clermont County, SW Ohio