OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2011 20:53:59 -0500
I finally had a chance to get out and check out the lakefront.  I was only
able to get out to Eastlake and East 72nd Street.  I wish I would have been
able to get over to the Avon Lake Power plant.  I received a call from Levi
Hoestettler this evening.  He and his group had a RED-THROATED LOON and
LONG-TAILED DUCK there today as well as all three mergansers.  His report
matched mine with gulls though.  Very few gulls anywhere.  Only three
species were reported today with most being ring-billed, a few herring and
few great black-backed gulls.

At East 72nd there were mallard, black duck, gadwall, redhead, ring-necked
duck, canvasback, greater and lesser scaup, common goldeneye and bufflehead.
I also had a merlin fly by.  At Eastlake there were ducks, but they were
flying off as I got there.  They had been scared off by a peregrine falcon.
They never came back.  Of the ducks that remained I only saw mallard, both
scaup, redhead, and red-breasted merganser.  I'm not sure where the gulls
are.  They often disappear in late January-early February and then return
later this month.

The lake has been frozen out my way.  My feeders have been getting a few
siskins and the occasional redpoll, but not much else.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081
(440) 259-2751