OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2011 11:04:05 -0500
Due to weather predictions and an up-coming trip south, we conducted the
monthly census yesterday.  Sandy Tkach and I were the only participants
which isn't unusual in the winter.  With 8+ inches of new snow over the 17+
inches from earlier in the week, travel was very difficult.  Many roads
weren't plowed.  We were unable to get to the northeast part of the island.
I had to snowshoe the North Pond Trail which took over an hour.  I need some
younger legs...  We started at 0815 and ended at 1315.  Weather was 28-34 F,
South winds 5-12 mph, partly cloudy to overcast skies.  The island is
surrounded by ice but there was open water to the east and south.
Unfortunately, foggy conditions and distance made identifying gulls and
ducks tough.  Eagles sitting on the edge of the ice were easy.  We observed
40 species on the route which is about average (39 species).  The 10,818
individuals was about twice the average for February (5283 individuals).
New for the February census was Merlin and Red-breasted Nuthatch.  This is
the 13th February census.  This route has been run every month since
November 1997 except for January and February 2000 when weather prevented
getting to the island to conduct it.

4        Canada Goose
204    Greater Scaup
353    Common Goldeneye
137    Common Merganser
950    Diving ducks - species?
28      Bald Eagles (6 adults, 15 immature, 7 unknown)
2        Sharp-shinned Hawk
3        Cooper's Hawk
5        Red-tailed Hawk
1        Merlin
1        Hawk species?
155    Ring-billed Gull
2400  Herring Gull
17      Great Black-backed Gull
5200  Gull species?
*          Wild Turkey
8        Mourning Dove
2        Eastern Screech-Owl
1        Great Horned Owl
2        Red-bellied Woodpecker
37      Downy Woodpecker
4        Northern Flicker
43      American Crow
5        Horned Lark
70      Black-capped Chickadee
1        Red-breasted Nuthatch
*         White-breasted Nuthatch
13      Brown Creeper
2        Carolina Wren
9        Golden-crowned Kinglet
3        Eastern Bluebird
7        Hermit Thrush
449    American Robin
309    European Starling
23      Cedar Waxwing
6        Yellow-rumped Warbler
5        American Tree Sparrow
2        Song Sparrow
34      White-throated Sparrow
81      Dark-eyed Junco
54      Northern Cardinal
9        Purple Finch
53      House Finch
27      American Goldfinch
99      House Sparrow

40 species
10,818 individuals

* = species observed on the island but not on the census route

--
H. Thomas Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio