OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

From:
Spencer Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Spencer Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:33:16 -0500
Today I was able to visit both the Avon Lake Power Plant and Meadow Lakes,
the residential neighborhood adjacent to Sandy Ridge.

.         Meadow Lakes : 1 Short Eared Owl was present at end of Hunter Lake
Drive at 4:45.  I was able get great looks at 25-35 yards while it was
hunting.  On the undersides of the wings there were heavy black markings
that were perpendicular to the wing.  They were "squared off", almost
rectangular and were in the center of the wing.  Are these marks diagnostic
for a SOE or were these marks specific to the bird I was observing?   I
bumped into a fellow birder who is also a Metoparks employee.  I believe she
said her name was Linda.  She told me to keep my eye out for the Merlin.
Sure enough, as I was leaving the development, I caught sight a very fast,
small bird of prey.  It landed on the roof of a house.  I initially would
have identified it at as a Kestrel, but since Linda gave me the heads up, I
pursued it.  When it landed on the house, it had an entirely different
perching posture than a Kestrel.  I don't have much experience with Merlins,
but I followed this bird to 4 different perching locations and each time the
bird held its body tight and low to the surface so that you couldn't see its
legs and its profile was very low.  Very different posture that the upright
Kestrel that I see frequently.  I finally got a good look at the front and
was able to positively identify it as the Merlin.  Beautiful bird.  Thanks
Linda for the heads up!

.         Avon Lake Power Plant - Lots of birds close to the pier if you
want to brave the elements.  Both Scaups, both Mergansers (no hooded),
Redheads, Canvasbacks, Goldeneyes and Ruddys.  I did not see the Long Tailed
Duck or the Red Throated Loon, but I was only able to take the cold for 10
minutes or so.  I think if you bundle up it's a good spot since the ice is
open right near the pier and it offers close looks at lots of birds.

Spencer