OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 16:45:00 -0500
You know the cold weather is having an effect on wild birds when something
like this happens.  Last night about supper time, I looked out at the feeder
and commented that there were no birds around.  Then I noticed a red phase
screech-owl sitting on my neighbor's fence less than 20 feet from the
feeder.  It sat there looking around for 45 minutes before flying into the
tree over the feeder.  It sat there for about another 15minutes looking
around the feeder and bushes before flying off.  All in daylight to dusk.

Then this morning at around 9:00 AM we noticed several American Tree
Sparrows at the feeder.  We haven't seen many this winter at the feeder,
plenty in the countryside but not at the feeder.  At 9:45 we looked out and
under the feeder was the screech-owl with an American Tree Sparrow in its
talons.  It flew into one of our cedars and proceeded to have breakfast.

We just came home and the owl is sitting out in the sun on the side of the
cedar.  Birds are at the feeder and don't seem to mind it being there.  They
must not have been around at breakfast time.  I got photos each time.  The
bird seems to like cameras.  I believe I can add Eastern Screech-Owl to my
feeder list now.

Tom

--
H. Thomas Bartlett