OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

From:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2011 11:01:40 -0500
Lyn and all,

Yes, the Columbus Audubon Avid Birders visited the Avon Lake site, along
with Eastlake and E 72nd Street in Cleveland.  All three had good numbers of
waterfowl at close range, although gulls were once again rather scarce, with
fair numbers of Ring-billeds, a few Herring, and a few Greater Black-backed
(Eastlake only).

At Avon Lake, there were hundreds of Canvasbacks bobbing along -- perhaps a
thousand; a remarkable and welcome sight.  Good numbers of scaup, American
Goldeneye, and other species as well, though nothing truly remarkable.

I should mention E 72nd as well: both Lesser and Greater Scaup were in the
close channel, and the scope-filling views in the bright sunshine were
stunning. Scaup in fresh plumage are really, really pretty!

Bill Heck

--
Bill Heck