OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:42:20 -0500
Most likely, a minor movement of Turkey Vultures (creagles?) road warm
southern wind into the Buckeye State this past weekend based on several
reports on the Listserv and a couple sightings from my home office window
this morning--the first TUVU's I've seen around my place near Galena since
November. Of course, it's possible these are wider-ranging Ohio winter birds
from small winter roosts in Pike, Jackson, Hocking, and other southern and
eastern Ohio counties hosting these birds most winters.

Hinckley notwithstanding, TUVU's return in noticeable numbers with strong
southern weather systems during February, annually. Many more arrive in
March and April. They ride favorable weather systems as soon as these
develop. From a hungry scavenger's point of view, our thawing landscape must
be a waiting smorgasbord of roadkill and winterkill everything..everywhere..
May as well be first at the table!

Other half-hardy birds ride the same weather systems. Joe in the Woods'
wintering Eastern Phoebe in Perry County will be lonely no more, soon, maybe
by Valentine's Day, today! Eastern Phoebes may be the first new arrivals you
hear singing on territory. American Woodcock move north as soil thaws enough
for probing. Already we have a report of territorial "Peenting"--the list
goes on.

Surges of migrants riding weather systems like the one this past weekend are
predictable. You can try forecasting movements yourself by using simple
real-time surface winds maps you can query at the Real-Time Weather Data
site.

See a map from this weekend at this link and you will see a strong pattern
of southerly winds flowing northeastward along the Mississippi and Ohio
valleys:

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/surface/displaySfc.php?region=dtw&endDate=20
110212&endTime=0&duration=0

Explore on your own:

Go to the NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research) "Real-Time Weather
Data" link here:

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/

Select the "Surface" link or thumbnail

Left mouse-click on the dotted North America map at a position anywhere in
Ohio (or wherever you want to see)

The map you will see includes most Midwestern states and you will see
surface wind speeds indicated by "flags" that look more like single-veined
arrows pointing in the direction the wind is moving. The more short lines,
"veins" on the flags, the higher the wind speed. This morning you will see a
strong circulation pattern in the Midwest with high wind speeds swirling
from NW to W around a strong low pressure system over Ontario.

Feeling adventurous? Try using the dropdown menus to select past time
periods to define a loop of data. The maps will illustrate weather system
movement.

Have fun.

Thanks to all who have gathered data for the Rusty Blackbird Hotspot Blitz.
Please enter your data at eBird soon. Remember to enter effort data for
those hotspots visits even if you were skunked.

Tom Bain
Delaware County