OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

From:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2011 23:50:35 -0500
I suppose I could start by stating an observation more pertinent to the
list: the two Peregrines remain at Tower East adjacent to the cemetery; I
observed them both flitting about very actively on the east-facing facade of
the building on Monday (and I see from eBird that Inga Schmidt observed one
there yesterday---I hope she won't mind my mentioning that here).

More curiously, tonight at about 11pm my wife and I spotted a mink crossing
(and then re-crossing) Chagrin Blvd at about the cemetery's halfway point
(from east to west).  There was no question about the ID---I've seen minks
aplenty in captivity, and we had a lot of time to observe this guy.  (There
was no traffic---which was fortunate for the mink---so we just stopped and
watched  for a minute.)

I'm just wondering if anyone has any guesses (off list) as to why a mink
would be wandering about an area so far from a significant river or lake?  I
believe a mink has been observed near the Shaker Lakes, but that seems like
a greater and more perilous distance than one would likely need to travel
for food.  About 3 miles, traversing heavily populated suburban and
commercial areas and very busy roads.  It's mating season for them, so I'm
wondering if that might be a factor.

Just a point of curiosity, and I don't know where better to mention it.
Thanks,
Noah