OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:16:15 -0800
I made a big loop around Mahoning Co. yesterday, and also visited parts of eastern Stark Co.  Migrant waterfowl were in small numbers but diversity was good.  Some raptors were encountered, but still no turkey vultures.  The first woodcocks have returned, but no killdeer yet.  Lots of nicely flooded fields around, too bad it's way too early for most shorebirds.  I finally found some yellow-rumped warblers after plenty of searching this winter.  I only saw one mixed blackbird flock, which was surprising.  I started off around noon at L. Milton, the south end is opening up and had Canada geese, 2 gadwalls, 27 Am. black ducks, mallards, 2 n. pintails, 2 ring-necked ducks, 14 c. goldeneyes, 2 common mergansers, great blue heron, bald eagle, and ring-billed gulls.  Four red-shouldered hawks in the area was a good count.  At Berlin Res. there were only Canada geese and 9 hooded mergansers in Stark Co. for waterfowl.  Great blue heron, bald eagle, and
 ring-billed gulls were also around.  By the spillway in Mahoning Co. were pileated woodpecker, e. bluebirds, Am. robin, 3 cedar waxwings, e. towhee, song sparrow, 3 white-throated sparrows, and 10 dark-eyed juncos.  I took Price St. from Berlin west towards Walborn Res. and found a group of 3 yellow-rumped warblers at Deer Creek Res. in Stark Co.  Walborn had no waterfowl except Canada geese.  I headed back east to Mahoning Co. at that point.  I spotted an Am. kestrel in Jackson Twp.  Next stop was the big pond behind the Avalon banquet place along Western Reserve Rd. in Beaver Twp.  Open water there held: Canada geese, 4 tundra swans, 10 gadwalls, 9 Am. black ducks, 60 mallards, 2 n. pintails, 5 redheads, 6 ring-necked ducks, 2 lesser scaups, a female long-tailed duck, 3 buffleheads, c. goldeneye, hooded merganser, ruddy duck, and 6 Am. coots.  You can view the pond right from your car at the back of the parking lot here; it's a business
 parking lot so not exactly public, but birders are tolerated so far.  Mill Creek and the Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary (off limits) are in this area, as is the new Mill Creek Wetlands Restoration project.  Next I went to Arrowhead L. which is just south of there near Columbiana.  This lake is surrounded by homes, so be respectful of that if you visit.  Waterfowl there: Canada geese, 3 mute swans, trumpeter swan (white collar #Z613), 8 tundra swans, gadwall, Am. black ducks, mallards, 4 Am. wigeon, 4 ring-necked ducks, greater scaup, and 3 buffleheads.  I looked at Pine L. and Evans L. on the way home, they're still frozen up and all I saw of interest was a great blue heron.  After a pit stop at home, I went up to Coitsville Twp. at dusk to listen for Am. woodcocks.  I heard 2 displaying birds at McGuffey Wildlife Preserve (another Mill Creek Parks property) there.  Craig Holt, Lowellville