OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2011 15:59:21 -0800
I was at Villa Angela and Wildwood State Parks in Cleveland today from 1pm to 3:20pm.  I was there late on 3/1 and didn't notice any flooding when I was down by Euclid Creek on the Wildwood side but today there was so much sand on the area above and next to Euclid Creek down from the bridge on the Wildwood side (I felt like I was walking on a wet beach) and you could tell the water had been very high and is still high.  Just a few of the birds I will mention:

Lesser Scaup 1 in marina (was also on Euclid Creek in Wildwood side on 3/1 with a female Ring-necked Duck)
Hairy Woodpecker 1m
Winter Wren 1 seen & heard past bridge in Wildwood in knot weed
American Robins - very abundant
GRAY CATBIRD - 1 Villa Angela FOS for me
American Tree Sparrow 4 VA & WW
Song Sparrow ~ 20 VA & WW very numerous since they were about absent this winter
Dark-eyed Junco ~ 16 VA & WA very numerous today
Grackles, RW Blackbirds, Killdeer calling

Sims Park in Euclid 11:45am
hundreds of RB Mergansers, some Common Mergansers & Common Goldeneye

Euclid Park (senior center north of Babbitt) 12:15pm
Gadwalls 3 (orig seen from Sims) then flew west

Euclid Creek Reservation - Highland Picnic Area 1 Belted Kingfisher (maybe this is where the Wildwood birds stay all winter as I heard one at Wildwood on 1/1/11 when it was 58 degrees)

Euclid Creek (between Highland-Euclid-Chardon) 2 Red-tailed Hawks always seen in the area together coming out of the woods to the east

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/