OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:17:11 -0500
A highly-motivated friend spent several hours day before yesterday in
the rain at Hoover Res looking for our friend Thalasseus maximus. No go,
but he mentioned he saw only four gulls along the length of the Res.
Anybody who drives I-71 south of town knows there are lots of gulls in
town, as evidenced by the throngs at the landfill.
        That must be where the food usually is, for we haven't been seeing
generous numbers of gulls at the reservoirs during working hours. Where
do all these birds pass the night?  Presumably at reservoirs, but which
ones? Does anyone who lives nearby know if large numbers roost at Hoover
or Alum or Delaware or Buckeye Lake? I see them commuting over my place
morning and evening.
        I'm not suggesting our royal tern has taken up dumpster-diving, but it
might have gotten caught up with gulls who roost somewhere else than
Hoover...any ideas/observations?
Bill Whan
Columbus