OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:46:40 -0500
The male hoary redpoll pretty much stayed the entire afternoon.  It showed
up at 11:30 and left a little after 5:30.

The bird exhibited some interesting behavior.  Despite having flocks of
anywhere from 20-50 common redpolls, the hoary rarely associated with the
common redpolls.  Most of the time it fed on the ground below my sunflower
feeder with song sparrows and tree sparrows.  It rarely sat still and
frequently chased other birds away.  It was very difficult to photograph as
it rarely sat still.  All of my photos were taken when all the birds scared
up and then would return.  The hoary would occasionally land in a small tree
briefly before returning to the ground.

The bird stayed at the feeders at the northwest corner of the house.  Anyone
interested in looking should be warned, we got about 15" of snow today and
my drive is impassable and there are many downed trees and branches around.
Park at Lakeshore Reservation park and walk in.

I have posted some photos at:

http://www.rarebird.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5481&PID=16443#16443

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road