OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:39:45 -0500
Waterfowl everywhere!  every puddle had ducks of some sort in it.
St Rt 95 was best, ponds held Common Merganser, Coots, Hooded Merganser,
Canvasbacks, Green Wing Teal, Blue Wing Teal, Shovelers, Am. Wigeon,
Mallards, Pintail, and of course Canada Geese.

All but the Common Merganser were too many to count...there was only one
pair of Common Mergansers...

Eagles were everywhere. I counted 6 Juvi and 1 adult.  Three of the Juvi
Eagles were fighting each other for the shad that  were in a pond, one
would catch it, the others would gang up on it till it dropped it.

I saw my first of the year Great Egret doing a flyover...it was flushed
from a puddle back in the back of the wetlands.

Gulls were EVERYWHERE!  All Ring-billed.

Plus I got as close as I ever could be to a Rough-legged Hawk...camera
didn't want to take pictures it was so close.

  I put some pictures up on my smugmug acct:
http://sjlarue.smugmug.com/Unsorted/OhioBirds/16108559_K6usy

The Rough-legged hawk was only about 20-25 ft away.

Have a great weekend, happy birding, and God Bless!

Steve J.

-Remember Japan.