OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2011 13:50:25 -0800
 I will be filing my Fall 2010 report on the Eastern
Hi All,

 I will be filing my Fall 2010 report on the Eastern
Highlands and Upper Ohio Valley Region (OH-PA-WV)
late Monday.

The usual 10-15 images have surfaced from Pennsylvania but
presently I have next to nothing from Ohio or West Virginia.
This has been a challenge for a number of years now despite
best efforts and valuable assistance of Su Snyder and others.

When I took on the editorship 7 years ago, one of my goals within
the framework of providing an informative overview of the
ornithology of the Region was to showcase the efforts of the
birding community that make such tremendous contributions
to our understanding of the ever changing avian landscape.

Part of that showcase I hope can be illustrated by the fine
photographic documentations that come out of the Region.
I feel Ohio has per capita an extraordinary number of
birder/photographs ... matching anthing elsewhere in the
country. Yet, readers well know there has been a stark bias
toward PA in the photo department ... because of the
disparity in submissions. I invite Ohio birders to assist in
leveling that bias by providing your best work for
publication in North American Birds, the nation's publication
of ornithological record.

To his credit, our editor, Ned Brinkley, has permitted the
expansion of the length of our Regional report from 3500
to 5000 words, while providing space for up 13 images an
issue (vs 20-25 per volume just a decade ago). I hope
more of the birding community will consider engaging
this publication both in terms of your reports and their
illustration through your fantasic imagery.

For those of you unfamiliar with this publication, I invite you to
examine some of my earlier efforts here ...

Fall 2007:
http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/NAB/v061n01/p00063-p00068.pdf
Pictorial Highlights:
http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/NAB/v061n01/p00178-p00184.pdf

and more examples ...
 http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/NAB/index.php#

... in addition to the body of text, a photo salon and
"Pictorial Highlights", often showcasing 30-40 images from
around the country provides top color reproduction of the most
outstanding submissions.

Should you choose to aid this effort, keep in mind that I
require with each photo the following ...

1) highest resolution possible ... the rarer the bird the
less pretty the shot needs to be but it MUST be readily
identifiable.

2) Name of photographer, date of the photo, Location

cheers

Vic Fazio
PI: Black-capped Vireo Monitoring Project, Fort Sill M.R., OK 2007-11
Regional Editor, North American Birds, OH & WV
State Reviewer, Project eBird, OH & OK
Lawton, OK & Shaker Hts, OH