OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2011 20:07:28 -0500
Our birding day continued, doing a follow-up to an e-mail we received yesterday from a property owner, letting us know that a pair of Sandhill Cranes had returned yesterday, to the location where last year, the first confirmed nesting Sandhill Cranes in Columbiana County, successfully reared two chicks. At about 5PM this afternoon we found two adults in a field southwest of the intersection of Georgetown Road and Knox School Road in Knox Township. A large marsh is to the west of this location. After watching the birds for a while, they took flight, calling, flying to the south. The property owner reported he thought he had heard three calling yesterday! He is the lucky guy who had the two youngsters in his front yard last year tormenting his St. Bernard dog. All property in this area is private; so if you decide to explore stay on the roads. We found two cranes at this location four years ago, but never relocated them until the juveniles showed up in the yard last year.

Bob and Denise Lane
Damascus, Mahoning County (nearby)