OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
George Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:59:38 -0400
Yesterday, Sunday 3/13, Mike Bracken and I made a loop through the Castalia area, Pipe Creek and
Sandy Ridge.  Sandy Ridge was very productive and is listed below.  Of note is the Sandhill Crane in
the SW corner of the main pond and the Rough-legged Hawk we observed hunting in the fields of
the housing development immediately to the east.

There was a good variety of dabbling ducks at Castalia Pond and in flooded fields south of Castalia
on Maple Avenue including: Pintail, Wigeon, Gadwall, Tundra Swans, and an Eastern Bluebird and
Cedar Waxwings.

Pipe Creek had large numbers of diving ducks including: Ring-necked, Lesser Scaup, Canvasbacks,
Redheads, Ruddy Ducks, Buffleheads, Hooded Mergansers and Horned Grebes.

Total species count for the day was 50.

Location:     Sandy Ridge Reservation
Observation date:     3/13/11
Number of species:     37