OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Brian Menker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Menker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:59:20 -0800
Sorry for the late post.  Yesterday at CJ Brown Reservoir (Buck Creek State
Park) in Clark County there was a decent movement of Snow Geese.  I saw a flock
of about 60 fly over the Dam and Visitor Center area at 9 a.m. headed due
north.  At about 12:30 I saw 2 big flocks circling over the lake to land
together.  There were about 150 total in that group.

Hard to say if the 60 I saw early were part of the later group, but they did
seem to be up fairly high and flying with a purpose.  That was at the south end
of the lake though, so they could have turned around at some point.

The later group stayed out in the middle of the lake in a big white raft and
were still there at 4:00 when I looked again. In both groups there was about a
3:1 ratio of white to blue phase.

There were ducks scattered in some numbers, but I don't have a scope so I
couldn't scan too far out or get very good counts.  What I could see were:
Redheads, Canvasbacks, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Hooded and Red-breasted
Mergansers, Ring-necked Ducks, Gadwall, and a few Mallards.
Loons shouldn't be too far behind now.

Brian Menker
Dayton/Springfield