OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2011 07:47:51 -0500
Yesterday evening (3/2) there was a fantastic movement of gulls along the lake at my house in North Perry, Lake County.  The birds were pretty high heading west along the lakeshore.  They were no more than 100 yards north or soth of the shoreline at any time.  Most were adult birds and there seemed to be a 50-50 mix of herring and ring-billed gulls.  I'm guessing in the hour and a half that I watched (4:30-6:00pm), about 3,000 birds passed by.  Who knows how many went by earlier or when the movement started.  I was able to pick out about 160 great black-backed gulls, 9 glaucous, 2 Iceland, and 1 Thayer's gull.

The gulls were still moving as the sun went down.  Gulls are listed as diurnal migrants  Disd these birds continue moving into the dark or did they drop down somewhere ?  If anyone is out along the lake today, it would be nice to see some reports.

John Pogacnik