OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2011 16:32:41 -0400
Hi Everyone,

A couple of visitors came in from out of town and we went out for a few
quick hours of birding today. Here are some highlights:

Erie Street Cemetery:

Song Sparrow‹ lots, certainly in the dozens
Fox Sparrow‹3
Chipping Sparrow‹several
Woodcock‹2

Along the lake shore‹near Muni Power, the 55th Street Marina and the 72nd St
marina and turning basin:

Pretty much the same throughout. Good numbers of the following:

Redhead
Mallard
Bufflehead
Red-Breasted Merganser
Hooded Merganser

Horned Grebe‹several
Pied-billed Grebe‹a few
Great Blue Heron‹a few
Wood Duck‹1 male in the turning basin
Double-Crested Cormorant‹a few

On the lawn outside Dike 14 and along the western fence:

Song Sparrow‹many
Chipping Sparrow‹Several
American Tree Sparrow‹1
Red-Wing Blackbird‹many, grazing in the lawn
Common Grackle‹many
Belted Kingfisher‹1 female, see on Dike 14
Eastern Meadowlark(!)‹1 or 2 (2 sightings, but we¹re not sure if they were
of 2 birds, or the same bird in two places)

One Red-tailed Hawk also landed in a tree on the side of the highway just
beyond the lakefront area.

Throughout the morning we also had several scattered sightings of Turkey
Vultures.

Horseshoe Lake:

Hooded Merganser‹several
Bufflehead‹a few