OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Chris Caprette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Caprette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2011 22:41:06 -0400
The sunny days afforded me the opportunity to work outside and enjoy the
sounds of spring. Saw and heard my first Eastern Phoebes of the year (1
male, 2nd silent so prob. female). We've had some Eastern Bluebirds
singing off-and-on for a couple of weeks but two males were singing like
crazy today. Song Sparrows have been singing for a couple of weeks also.
Black-capped Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, White-breasted Nuthatches,
Northern Cardinals, and Carolina wrens have been singing for a while now
but they've increased in numbers lately. At least two Red-winged
Blackbirds are setting up territories I think, plus several flocks of
several hundred each have been making momentary stops in the trees and
local fields. We've had good numbers of American Goldfinches but no
songs yet, just lots of contact and alarm calls. Downy, Hairy, and
Red-bellied woodpeckers all were drumming. I also thought I heard a
Pileated woodpecker give an alarm. Blue jays, American crows one
Red-tailed hawk and one Red-shouldered hawk all were vocalizing as well
today.

Accompanying these avian minstrels was a distant chorus of spring
peepers. I also found a casting (owl or hawk, I dunno) containing
/Peromyscus /(white-footed or deer mouse, hard to tell which) bones.

On a sad note, I saw what I think was a carcass of a Cooper's hawk about
1/4 mile south of Rt. 306 on the north side of Bainbridge Rd.

Chris Caprette
Geauga Co.