OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Lee Underschultz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2011 14:14:41 -0500
Last night as I was going top the pasture to retrieve my old horse for the
evening a flash of white on the pond next door caught my eye. At first I
just thought it was Canada geese as usual but the size was wrong so I
strained to see better. After I'd feed my old boy I went to the house and
got my binoculars and returned to get a good look. There were about 70
Ring-necked ducks on the pond. About half of them remain there today. At the
same time as I was going through the gate on the driveway I heard aloud
sound of wings flapping coming from the adjacent pine grove. All of sudden
Turkey Vultures took flight. About 40 of them came boiling out in a
continuous flow.

This morning as I was coming back through Williamstown, WV on the river
road, on the Ohio River just across from the stop light at the Fenton Art
Glass turn off I spotted a Cackling Goose with the Canada geese. I even
turned around and went back to confirm what I saw. It was indeed a Cackling
Goose.

Lee Underschultz
Firefly Hollow
Little Hocking, OH