OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2011 17:32:49 -0400
A quick run-through of most of the main Hoover reservoir accesses this morning found most of the massive flocks of waterfowl missing.  Diversity was still good, and the first waves of landbird migrants (Tree Swallows, Phoebes, Field Sparrows) have washed in, so the morning was still enjoyable. I stopped at the dam, Walnut Street launch, Maxtown launch, Sunbury causeway, Oxbow Island, and Wiese Rd.  Notables included:

Dabblers - hardly any except for small numbers of Mallards at every stop

Divers - 70+ Lesser Scaup were still lingering off Wiese Rd at the north end of the reservoir.  3 Bufflehead were still in the Golf Course Pond off Sunbury Rd, while small groups of Ruddy Ducks were still off Oxbow Island and Wiese Rd

Mergansers - there were still 30+ Red-breasted Mergansers off Wiese Rd, with lots of displaying and chasing.

Grebes, Loon - 1 Pied-bill was around Oxbow Island, while 6 Horned were off the Wiese Rd bikepath.  1 Common Loon was also at the latter location.

Cormorants - small #s at most stops; most obviously moving north.  I even had 1 small group soaring up on a thermal above Wiese Rd, then striking out northward.  Lake Erie, here we come!

Osprey - the pair at the platform off the Boardwalk have returned and were inspecting the premises

Phoebe - calling birds were at the dam, Maxtown launch, and Oxbow Island

Tree Swallows - small #s at Sunbury bridge, Oxbow, and Wiese Rd were chattering and feeding over the water