OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2011 20:38:54 -0400
All,

Take a look at Steve's redpoll that he posted today from Larue.

http://sjlarue.smugmug.com/Unsorted/OhioBirds/16108559_K6usy#1221067050_7FQn

It's got several features that look Hoary to me. Since I get relatively
little experience with redpolls and they vary immensely, I'd like to hear
some comments. Here's what I noticed:

1. Bill appears very petite, and pushed into the face. The bill of a Common
Redpoll, if turned around into the head, should extend past the eye. This
bird's bill looks like it would barely reach it.

2. Undertail coverts appear pure white. Common Redpolls should have some
streaking on the undertail coverts.

3. It has a large tuft of feathers over the upper mandible (maxilla). This
is a feature that is useful in identification as I am seeing in field guides
and pictures, which good for Hoary and not for Common.

4. Long tail. The tail projects far on this bird, and it should be a little
shorter on a Common.

5. Very pale on the head, neck, and back of the bird. Lots of white.

6. While streaking is present on the sides, the streaks look thin and taper
off posteriorly. A Common's streaks look thicker and extend farther
posteriorly.

Look at this picture where I compare some of the above dimensions:

https://picasaweb.google.com/seanbirder/RedpollEdited#5585953438261981250

Also, Sibley has a nice article on his webite about redpoll ID:
http://www.sibleyguides.com/2007/12/redpoll-identification/

Thanks for comments!

Good birding,
Sean

---
Sean Williams, '11
Undergraduate of Ornithology of Dr. Jed Burtt
Ohio Wesleyan University
HWCC 724
Delaware, OH 43015
617-470-4094