OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2011 21:49:22 -0400
I think it would be hard to put a definitive ID on this bird.  The streaking
on the sides looks very heavy to me.  The undertail looks pretty white, but
we are seeing it from an angle and are unable to see the entire area.
Another needed field mark, the rump is not visible.  I also find it
difficult to see the pushed in bill of the Larue bird due to the angle the
head is facing.  Using Troy's scale, I would place this bird in the
intermediate category.  What I mean by intermediate is using the scale from
Declan Troy's paper
(http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Auk/v102n01/p0082-p0096.pdf ).  Sibley has a
pretty good explanation and drawings to illustrate what Troy is saying.
See:

http://www.sibleyguides.com/2008/01/a-character-index-for-redpoll-identification/

Basically Troy looks at three characters on the redpolls, undertail
markings, side streaking, and rump markings.  He gives point values for the
extent of markings in these three areas.  You total the markings from the
three areas and then see where the total falls on his scale.  This has been
pretty useful.  I have seen quite a few pale redpolls this winter and most
fall in this intermediate category.  I had one that scored 13, just outside
the hoary cut-off.  I did not feel comfortable calling any of these
intermediate birds hoary's.  The hoary redpoll that was recently at my
feeder I scored a 16.  You would be surprised how difficult it is to get
good looks at all three characters.  With my hoary I was able to see all
characters.  getting photos of each took some time.

When you start reading about hoary identification there is a lot of
variation and overlap, especially when dealing with the southern hoary
(Carduelis hornemanni exilipes).   It would be nice to get more photos of
the Larue bird.  I think it would be difficult to put a name on it from a
single photo.  Getting photos of the rump, a clear view of the entire
undertail covert area, and a good side view of the head showing the shape of
the bill would help.  I think that this might clear it up a bit.    Just my
thoughts.

John Pogacnik