OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Chris Caprette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Caprette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:47:16 -0400
This morning we had a Fox Sparrow show up for the first time this
season. It appeared to be an intergrade between the slate-colored and
red variations. It had a solid gray head and back and the breast streaks
were a little darker brown than the bright reddish-brown tail and wings.
There were no reddish stripes on the back like one would expect in a red
variant. I don't see Fox Sparrows very often so I don't know if this is
common in Ohio or not, but the few I've seen here and in Columbus in the
past were the typical red variety with the distinct rusty marks on the
back and cap.

Chris Caprette
Geauga Co.