OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2011 09:35:00 -0400
At 7:30 and 8:30 the Hoary Redpoll made its appearance again today.

After gnawing it over for about two days now, I was still on the fence
about calling it a Hoary, so I sent in the pics to Sibley and here is
his reply.

 >Steve,
 >
 >Thanks for sending this. I feel confident calling this a Hoary Redpoll
- the overall pale appearance, >with "frosty" rear scapulars is the best
feature, supported by the sparse flank streaks, small bill, >white rump,
mostly white undertail coverts, and fluffy "well-padded" appearance. ..."

The "..." was info on trying to nail down the subspecies, which since I
don't have other redpolls to compare it to, is difficult at best.

So I am rubbing out Common, and inking in Hoary Redpoll...and have now
used up all of my rare bird points for the year!

The light is right, time to get some wall pictures! :-D

Steve