OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Andy Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2011 16:17:31 -0500
Hello Ohio birders:

Spring is creeping back in throughout Ohio, with male Red-winged
Blackbirds starting to tee up on cattail stalks and Common Grackles
beginning to joust for position in their display arenas.  These are
welcome signs to Ohioans who have endured one of the more dramatic
winters in recent memory.

28 February marked the end of winter in terms of the way we keep track
of bird records; winter is considered to run three months, from December
1st to February 28th.

Please consider submitting your observations of Ohio birds from the
winter season to The Ohio Cardinal. Each issues relies field
observations from birders, and we are eager to find out about and report
on what you've been seeing. Even if you have reported sightings to the
listserv, please provide a list of your most important records to ensure
that they are cited in the journal.

Members of the Ohio Ornithological Society have received the Winter
2008-2009 issue of The Ohio Cardinal.  The next four issues will be
published as two double issues in order to get the journal on a better
publication schedule.  Once those issues are published I will officially
step down as editor of the journal.

I am excited to announce that Dr. Jill Russell will be taking over as
editor of the journal, beginning with the Spring 2010 issue.  She is a
scientist and faculty member at College of Mount St. Joseph in
Cincinnati, is Executive Director of the Avian Research and Education
Institute, and has extensive experience as a bird bander.  She will be
introduced more fully in an upcoming issue of The Cerulean newsletter.

Please submit your reports, by e-mail or by postal mail, to the
following addresses:

Dr. Jill M. Russell
College of Mount St Joseph
5701 Delhi Rd
Cincinnati, OH 45233-1670

e-mail: [log in to unmask]

A convenient form for submitting seasonal observations, and additional
information is available here:

http://www.ohiobirds.org/publications/cardinal/aboutcardinal.php

Reports should be submitted by March 25th.

Photographs and articles are also greatly appreciated - contact Jill for
information on submission guidelines.

I am pleased to have been involved with The Ohio Cardinal for the last
few years.  I have enjoyed interacting with many amazing naturalists
throughout the state, and am proud to have been part of a talented
editorial team of season editors and an incredible assistant editor,
Debbie Griffith.  See you afield!

Andy
--
Andy Jones, Ph.D.
William A. and Nancy R. Klamm Endowed Chair of Ornithology