OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Danielle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:09:52 -0700
While out around town, my mom and I decided to drive through Gambier and stop for a minute to see if eagles had taken up at the nest near Small's Sand and Gravel. As we drove in one bird flew to the nest itself, then moved to a branch further away in the tree and sat for a few minutes, before we had to leave. Not sure if it was perhaps passing food, or anything like that, I could not tell. Does anyone else know if they're incubating? I haven't seen any other posts about this nest that I recall.
In our travels we saw lots of other things. Highlights: 1 blue phase Snow Goose at the pond on the grounds of the Mount Vernon Developmental Center, 2, maybe 3 Eastern Phoebe near the largest parking lot on the grounds there and 1 Am. Kestrel on a wire on Killduff Rd, about a half mile before Small's. Also lots of Turkey Vultures and crows seen from the road. Everything else pretty standard fare. We stopped at Memorial Gardens cemetery to look for Killdeer but only saw 2 Canada Geese and a few crows.
Yea, that's about it, sorry I got a bit wordy, haha.