OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Mar 2011 18:27:01 -0400
Hi Everyone,

The area that has been so good for woodpeckers in Forest Hill Park the last
couple of years remains good. This afternoon (Saturday), Beth and I had a
calling Pileated that later flew over and landed in a nearby tree. Last
weekend, with a couple more friends, we had some very good looks at one or
two Pileateds that flew around us and called.

Today, we also got very good looks at a Red-headed Woodpecker in the same
area.

Aside from these two birds, today was very slow‹lots of American Robins,
lots of Song Sparrows, and a couple of Chipping Sparrows.

So here come the questions:

When we were watching the Red-headed Woodpecker, we saw that it was standing
on a branch from which the bark had been stripped along a major section‹the
bird was apparently looking for insects or larvae in the stripped area.
Looking around, we saw a number of trees that showed a lot of stripped bark,
mostly on branches, but in one case, most of a trunk.

We¹re used to seeing Pileateds stripping bark from large dead or dying
trees. But these were young trees‹the trunks were no more than a few inches
in diameter. Of course, it¹s possible that they are trees with a lot of
insects inside, that they are not healthy‹we couldn¹t tell, since they
haven¹t started to leaf out.

The questions are: Have people seen Pileateds stripping young, smaller,
healthy-looking trees? And have you seen Red-headeds feeding in areas
stripped by Pileateds? And, I might add, has anyone seen Red-headeds
stripping bark themselves?

Thanks.

For those interested in this good woodpecker area (in the summer, we¹ve had
five species in a half-hour), it¹s in Forest Hill Park, which is in
Cleveland Heights and East Cleveland, in Cuyahoga County. The area in
question is easily reached by going in the entrance to the park on Forest
Hill Blvd just northeast of Terrace. You can park in the lot there, then
walk through the playground area and into the park‹once the picnic area is
behind you, you¹re there.

Best wishes,

Steve Cagan
Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga County