OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2011 19:25:15 -0400

2011-03-27  Killdeer Plains WA & Big Island WA
Sunday  afternoon Darlene Sillick and I visited Killdeer Plains and Big
Island Wildlife  Areas. The weather had a nip to it but the birds more than
made up for any  discomfort. We found a wide variety of waterfowl at both
locations with the  stars being a Eurasian Wigeon at Killdeer and a Ross’s Goose
at Big Island.  Shorebirds were limited to Killdeer and Wilson’s Snipe. We
found two groups of  Wilson’s Snipe at Big Island. The first was about 30
along Herr Road and the  second about 18 at a stop along Prospect – La Rue
Road. We finished at my place  where we were greeted by singing Eastern
Bluebirds. It was an enjoyable  afternoon regardless of the chill as it had great
company, lots of good  birds and chocolate.
Charlie  Bombaci
SPECIES LIST  (59)
Common  Loon
Pied-billed  Grebe