OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2011 18:19:15 -0700
Hello All,
     First of all, thanks to Bruce Glick for yesterday's post to Ohio Birds
about finding/re-finding these birds! This past Sunday, we had scoped from the
East side of Wilderness Road on two different occasions, and from the West end
of Schwartzwalder Road on three different occasions before giving up on the
Black Scoter, reported from these locations at the Funk WA last Friday, and
again on Saturday. We also ran into other birders who hadn't had any luck, and
so we thought that the bird had probably moved on. But with Bruce's report,
there were now two good reasons to return to the area today. Our first stop was
at Schwartzwalder Road, and again we had no luck finding the BLSC, though
looking into the glare of the sun made for difficult viewing. Although the
lighting was great from the East side, on Wilderness Road, the Scoter was not
found there either. And so it was on to Wright Marsh via Elyria Road S to SR 3,
then E to Kister Road, then back S to the intersection of SR 226. Continuing on
across SR 226 and on to the railroad crossing. We parked here (this is only
about 7-8 miles from Wilderness Road) and walked the railroad tracks E (to your
left) for about 100 yards. Wright Marsh is on the left, and soon to be found
were four beautiful Surf Scoters; two males and two females! This was great as
one seldom sees adult male Surf Scoters here in Ohio!

     Now, if we could only re-find the Black Scoter at Funk. Back at Wilderness
Road we met Bob Conlon and Dave Horn, who were just returning to their car after
having scoped both areas thoroughly. After our good-byes, we headed back to
Schwartzwalder Road for one last search. The lighting was much better by now (it
was about 12:30 PM), and with very few heat waves. Mostly Scaup and
Ring-necked Ducks were still here, but finally in the distance to the left of
the old silo in the background, there it was! The Black Scoter (a male) was
actively feeding among the Scaup. It was down more than it was up, but when it
turned just right, this very black duck (compared to the female Scaup) was
pretty easy to pick out. Also, the yellow area at the base of the bill was easy
to see from the side or when it faced us. Surprisingly, this sleek duck seemed a
bit smaller than the Scaup, though its' body seemed a bit lower in the water
when it surfaced. Where had this duck been during our previous four searches?
Maybe somewhere beyond scope viewing, or possibly behind a line of vegetation to
the left of the house? Or "down" feeding during those scope "sweeps". Wherever
it was, we were very happy that it finally appeared in the scope's field of view
during that final attempt! Perhaps this effort adds some credence to the old
saying that "perseverance pays" (though it doesn't always)!

Good Birding,
Dan

Dan Sanders
42 Scioto St
Powell, OH 43065
614-596-5666

"When a man destroys a piece of art we call him a vandal; when he destroys
a work of nature we call him a developer." Anonymous