OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2011 13:46:20 -0400
I spent the morning familiarizing myself with the Coshocton Co. part of Region 60 of OBBA II.  I had 34 species, despite the overcast skies and cold wind and occasional spitting snow/sleet:

Great blue heron
Canada goose
wood duck
mallard
hooded merganser
turkey vulture
Cooper's hawk
red-tailed hawk - at least 12 different individuals
rock pigeon
mourning dove
downy woodpecker
northern flicker
eastern phoebe
Carolina wren
eastern bluebird
American robin
Carolina chickadee
tufted titmouse
white-breasted nuthatch
blue jay
American crow - carrying nesting material already
European starling
house sparrow
eastern towhee
chipping sparrow
field sparrow
fox sparrow
song sparrow  - in full territorial song, several places
dark-eyed junco
northern cardinal
red-winged blackbird
eastern meadowlark - in full song
common grackle
brown-headed cowbird

The most interesting to me were the hooded mergansers.  There were three different pairs, and it looked to me as though they were scoping out nesting territories.  OBBA II has reports of hoodies nesting in reclaimed strip mine areas, which is exactly what Woodbury is.  I made notes, and will look again for them later in the spring and summer.

And, here is an open invitation to anyone who would like to accompany me to some really great habitat:  Woodbury WA, Powlson WA, Dillon WA, and Tri-Valley WA.  All are in Region 60, and all have been under-reported.  I will be out Mon. through Sat. beginning June 7.  There have been unconfirmed reports of northern harriers nesting in one or more of these WA's.  I'd love to have company to make the confirmations.  The sparrow habitat is superb - Henslow's have been confirmed.  If anyone is interested, contact me privately.

Margaret Bowman
Licking Co., OH
Regional Coordinator for Region 60, OBBA II