OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:05:34 -0400
great day!!

stopped @ boathouse/launch
2:40-3:00

in the area between the launch and east of the breakwall,
visible from the shore were the following:

 - 1 Eared Grebe
 - 10 Horned Grebes
 - 80-ish Red-breasted Mergansers (maybe 2.5 : 1   male to female ratio)
 - 8 Mallards
 - 6 Buffleheads
 - 1 Lesser Blackbacked Gull
 - 1 Wood Duck
 - Hundreds of Herring/Ring-billed Gulls
 - running around in parking lot were 3 Killdeer

3:00-3:30
to other side of Inner City Yacht Club
where i walked along fence/lookin under
boats - 10 Song Sparrows

walked out the breakwall ledge heading east
saw the following:
13 Horned Grebes
(one of these was not easily spooked and cruised
along the shore only 15 feet from me and
dove many times - it was cool to watch his
bubble trail on his dives that averaged 30 sec
and covered 20 feet)
1 Eared Grebes
4 Pied-billed Grebes (under the docks - wary)
2 Mute Swans
100-ish Red-breasted Mergansers
6 Buffleheads

out past 75 yards were hundreds of
Red-breasted Mergansers that numbered
around 200 or so

only 1 fly-by of a single Cormorant today

a solo Turkey Vulture also cruised by

not visible today were any Common Mergansers

Sims Park in Euclid yielded on pair of
Red-breasted Mergansers on one of the
few areas of open water. there was nothing
of note in the park either.

Grebes will bring me back tomorrow @ Gordon.
I will be there around 2:30 if anyone's interested.