OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
William Hull <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Hull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2011 17:31:22 -0500
The staked out Greater White-fronted Goose that Jason saw has been
present from Feb 27 to at least Mar 4.  This is a good length of visit
for this species in this part of the state.  I don't know if anyone
looked for it today.

Armleder Park (Cincinnati, Hamilton Co.)  often turns up good birds
this time of year because of its Little Miami River floodplain
habitat.  Interesting waterfowl as well as cranes and gulls are all
possibilities just a few miles from downtown.  Unfortunately the park
is closed during high water periods, like now, and typically can only
be scoped on weekends when it is closed due to parking situation - the
gated entrance is surrounded by private businesses.

Also present on Friday were 19 Tree Swallows.  Those coupled with the
Eastern Phoebe in my backyard this afternoon make it feel like spring
is near. :)

Cheers,
Bill Hull
Cincinnati, OH, USA