OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2011 02:27:52 -0500
I spent a wet morning looking for waterfowl, early shorebirds, and field migrants along the western edge of this northwest Columbus suburb.  Starting at Glacier Ridge MetroPark, I roamed south along Hyland-Croy Rd to the Wetlands, making a side trip to Avery Park, then went down past the sky-ponds of Cosgray Rd to Darree Fields Park, dodging rain the whole way.

Mallards were the only Dabbling Ducks much in evidence despite loads of habitat, but the large man-made lake at the Corazon development along H-C Rd had a large flock of Diving Ducks, including 300 Ring-necks, 60 Redheads, and 30 Lesser Scaup.  Kildeer were at several places, but they were the only shorebird out. Raptors were scarce due to the rain, but the resident Great Horned Owl was in the Avery Park woodlot being harassed by Crows.

The rainy weather certainly wasn't stopping sparrows or icterids.  I had small flocks of Tree Sparrows, Song Sparrows, and Juncos at several stops, and had calling E.Towhees several places as well.  Redwinged Blackbirds were everywhere, Grackles were also widespread, and the Honda Wetlands had 3 singing E. Meadowlarks.  The woodlots may be quiet, but the fields and marshes are already in the first throes of Spring migration.