OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2011 14:17:37 -0800
I was coming back from lunch in Mentor this afternoon around 2:45pm and in a split second decided to turn into Garfield Park (Eleanor B Garfield Park)just west of Lawnfield (James A. Garfield the 20th president's home) on the north side of Mentor Ave just west of Rt 615.  I think this is the second time I have been there.  I drove past the pond (mallards & geese) and went to the north and west end of the park to a long parking lot near the first ball park and a railroad track.  I immediately saw many little birds fly from the tree near my car to another tree so I stopped.  I wasn't prepared with my birding stuff and quickly found my binoculars and saw they were COMMON REDPOLLS.  They looked like about 20 but as I walked towards the trees there were additional ones in other trees and then they all flew together there were about 35 or 40.  The whole thing lasted less than two minutes as they kept moving around and then disappeared.  I only saw one
 little alder tree so they were in other types of trees apparently near the railroad tracks.  As I was not prepared and the erratic nature of these birds I only have one lousy picture with multiple birds in it.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/