OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2011 23:51:28 -0500
My apologies for the inactivity of the RBA over the past month; grad schools
interviews were fierce. I had someone to cover for me that apparently never
did.

- RBA
* Ohio
* Statewide
* March 6, 2011
* OHS63.11

- Species Mentioned (Caps denote a review list species):

Rossıs Goose
Eurasian Wigeon
White-winged Scoter
Long-tailed Duck
ROYAL TERN
HARRISıS SPARROW
- Transcript

This is the Ohio Rare Bird Report for March 6, 2011.
Compiler: Sean Williams. Email: [log in to unmask]

Species in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS ARE REVIEW LIST SPECIES. Details of these
sightings are desired by the Ohio Bird Records Committee. Careful
observation, not ornithological expertise, is the only qualification for
submitting your data. For details and pointers see:
http://www.ohiobirds.org/records/documentation.php

Rossıs Goose: At least two were reported at Maumee Bay State Park on 28 Feb
(Brian Zwiebel). They were then reported nearby, north of Erie Rd., just
west of I-75 (Greg Links). Three were present with a flock of Snow Geese at
Delaware Wildlife Area on 2 Mar (Sean Williams and Bill Heck). One was seen
by Brad Sparks on 3 Mar at Bluewing Pond at Pickerington Ponds.

Eurasian Wigeon: One drake was reported ³in a pond along Western Reserve
Road south of Youngstown, [Mahoning County,] behind the Drake's Landing
Restaurant² on 1 Mar (Craig Holt). Another was at Deer Creek in the middle
tract on 1 Mar (Bob Royse).

White-winged Scoter: One was seen by Bob Royse on 1 Mar at Deer Creek.

Long-tailed Duck: A female was photographed at Prairie Oak Metro Park on 28
Feb (Ron Looker).

ROYAL TERN: This bird, originally misidentified as a Caspian Tern, showed up
at Hoover Reservoir on 3 Mar, and later photographed by the Walnut Boat
Ramp. Luckily, when Vic Fazio reviewed the pictures on 6 Mar he keenly
identified the bird as a Royal Tern. Word quickly spread in all directions,
and many birders were able to chase and further photograph this bird. As of
late 6 Mar, it was hanging around Hoover Dam. Here are some great shots by
Bill Tacon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60299532@N07/sets/72157626211286482

Some nice flight shots by Laura Keene:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keeneone/5504965058/

HARRISıS SPARROW: This bird has been seen well through 4 Mar, visiting a
feeder at 9041 Bear Hollow Rd in Applecreek. Birders welcome.

- End Transcript

Good birding,

Sean Williams
Delaware, OH

---
Sean Williams, '11
Undergraduate of Ornithology of Dr. Jed Burtt
Ohio Wesleyan University
HWCC 724
Delaware, OH 43015
617-470-4094