OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Karl Overman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Overman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2011 19:38:22 -0500
After Paul Berrigan and I picked up the Royal Tern at Hoover
Reservoir, we stopped by Killdeer Plains on our way back to suburban
Detroit.  Still considerable ice on ponds, especially on township
road 68.  On the far side there was a narrow band of open water along
the shoreline.  We picked out three White-fronted Geese, one on twp
road 68 and two more on the Harold Rowe wetland.  We had five
Cackling Geese in with the hundreds of Canada Geese: 3 on twp rd 68
and 2 on the Harold Rowe wetland.  Pintails were in good number, say
200, as were of course Mallards but the rest of the puddle ducks were
few in number with no Shovelers seen for example. We had one Sandhill
Crane on twp rd 68 and Paul pointed out a Northern Shrike on twp rd
123.  The reservoir at Killdeer Plains was still a sheet of ice.

Cheers,

Karl Overman
Farmington Hills, Michigan
www.karloverman.com