OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
MikeSmith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MikeSmith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2011 23:10:56 -0500
Charlemont Reservation, Lorain County
Tues. 8 March 2011
5:30pm - 7:00pm
40's, cloudy/overcast, calm

I went out to Charlemont this evening hoping to see my first woodcock of the year. When I got there, I first walked back to the stand of pine trees I reported seeing long-eared owls in on the 20th of February, no owls in the pines today. I got over to the wetlands area, which is on the south side of New London Eastern Road at 6:15pm. The peenting started at 6:40pm, followed by a good number of courtship display flights. I'm reporting 25 woodcocks observed, but that is a conservative estimation. Barred owl was heard only, from the southeast corner of the wetlands area.

Total Species 18

Canada Goose - 30
Mallard - 5
Wood Duck - 11