From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2011 02:57:51 -0400
I spent a few hours at each of these east Columbus MetroParks to see what the warm front had brought in, but was somewhat disappointed.  The 'floodgates' appear to have been downstream from us, as the big numbers of temperate migrants that were here last week took the opportunity to exit, and few species had moved it to replace them.  I ran into the McNulties at Blacklick (where they were kind enough to point out a Cooper's Hawk nest), and we both had noticed the drop off.  Still, the day was gorgeous and some interesting birds were around.  Notables included:

Shovelers - several pair at Thoreau Lake (Blendon), as well as a few at the Gahanna Wetland Preserve.
Lesser Scaup - still a pair at Thoreau Lake
Ring-necked Duck - a pair at Thoreau Lake
Turkey Vulture - surprisingly few, with only 1-2 at each location
Barred Owls - 2 birds active along Maple Loop at Blacklick
Cooper's Hawks - a nesting pair off the Maple Loop at Blacklick; birds on territory along the Overlook trail at Blendon
Flicker - 4+ at Blacklick, 2-3 at Blendon
Sapsuckers - distinctly fewer, with 3 at Blacklick and none at Blendon
Brown Creeper - 3+ at Blacklick, 2 at Blendon
Kinglets - more Ruby-crowns than Golden-crowns, with 5,4 of the former (Blacklick,Blendon) versus only 2,1 of the latter
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 4-5 at Blacklick, 1 at Blendon
Hermit Thrush - only 1 at each location
Yellow-throated Warbler - 1 singing around the Ash-Maple picnic area at Blacklick; another at Woodside Green Park in Gahanna
Pine Warbler - 1 along road at Blacklick
Black-thr.Green - 1 singing along Lake trail at Blendon, my FOS
Yellow-rumped Warblers - 5+ at Blacklick, 4 at Blendon
E.Towhee - 10+ singing at Blacklick (a good # here), 2 singing at Blendon
Field Sparrows - 4-5 singing at Blacklick, 2+ singing at Blendon
Chipping Sparrows - widespread at both parks and in the neighborhoods in between
Fox Sparrow - only 1, singing along the Maple Trail at Blacklick
White-throated Sparrows - small flocks (6-10 birds) at both parks
Junco - 2-4 at each park, nearly all in pairs
Pine Siskin - 1 singing in Gahanna at Woodside Green park