From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2011 20:40:09 -0700
I went to Shawnee again today and yesterday (Apr. 18-19).

Starting with the drive down, Warbling Vireos are numerous along the Scioto River from Lake White southward. This evening on the drive back I checked the Lake White campground again to see if any Baltimore Orioles had arrived.  Nope, but much to my surprise there was an Orchard Oriole there.

The bird life has advanced considerably in the past few days. So has the vegetation. Some species that were only just beginning to show up last week and now widespread and numerous. American Redstarts, Ovenbirds, and Hooded Warblers are all abundant now. Prairie Warblers are also numerous in the south. Blue-winged Warblers are numerous too, but not yet at their peak numbers. Cerulean and Worm-eating Warblers, Scarlet Tanagers, and Wood Thrushes are also widespread, but still in relatively small numbers. Yellow-throated and White-eyed Vireos are probably at their max numbers now or close to it, at least the singing males are. Red-eyed Vireos are still very scare. It won't stay that way for long! There is still no sign of Kentucky Warblers, Y-b Chats, or Rose-br Grosbeaks, which all should be arriving soon. No flycatchers are present other than E Phoebes, but that's no surprise for this date. I didn't see any Indigo Buntings this time either. The one I saw last week really was unusually early.

This morning was a good one for migrants on the ridge since it was raining at dawn and many migrants had plopped down. Yellow-rumped Warblers were by far the most numerous birds seen, but I also saw a couple of Nashville Warblers, and a Palm Warbler (unusual on the Shawnee ridge tops). Black-thr Green Warblers were also fairly numerous away from their few knows nesting areas. Blue-headed Vireos seen away from their nesting areas were seen on the ridge tops too. Purple Finches and Pine Siskins were also present this morning.

A Blackburnian Warbler was present along the Upper Twin Creek Road today. I see them there pretty much every year around now in the exact same spot. I suspect they may nest nearby. If anyone is around there later in the season, I think it would be worth the effort to try to find them for the OBBAII. I see no breeding records for Blackburnians at Shawnee at the OBBAII website, but I would bet that a few do nest there some years.

Red-headed Woodpeckers are still numerous, in fact, there are a lot more of them there that I realized last week. I have had some requests about where to find them. I found them in many spots. They're the most conspicuous along the ridge on FR2 across from the burned out area. There are also some along Pond Lick Run. In the north there are some at the Horseman's campground near Bear Lake. Drive around and you'll see them elsewhere too.

The road at the marina is flooded over, so I couldn't check it out. Moore's Lane is better than it has been in recent years, but it could dry up soon. In addition to many Killdeers, there were some Lesser Yellowlegs and Solitary Sandpipers in the flooded fields yesterday. Common Yellowthroats and Yellow Warblers are present in the thickets on the southern part of Moore's Lane.

A highlight yesterday was a BOBCAT crossing the road up the Odle Creek (FR14).

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6056 (20110419) __________